30 Jan Google’s First Algorithm for Mobile to be out in 2018
With the advancement of smart phones, more and more people prefer using mobile devices even for searches and surfing purpose rather than using a desktop. To meet up the new demand, Google is on the edge to bring its first index for mobile in 2018.
With this new index, there will also come some changes to the search results and your website. So it’s time to prepare for the new Algorithm and set yourself up before the upgrade is imposed.
What is this new Algorithm?
When you type in a query in the search box, Google does not search the entire internet because doing so will demand a lot of time and also lot of effort for each individual separately. So instead Google has it crawlers that are constantly crawling all the content over the internet. These crawlers compile the content according to a set of keywords and store the information in their data base. This data base is known as Google Index.
Initially these crawlers compile data depending on the desktop sites. But since the increase in number of mobile searches has increased by 50%, Google has felt the need to maintain a separate index which will show mobile friendly sites first on the mobile search. Thus Google has come up with its first ever mobile algorithm. Google is planning to launch this algorithm sometime soon in 2018, it will show mobile-friendly sites ahead of desktop websites for enhancing the experience of mobile browsing.
Don’t be scared, the new algorithm will not harm websites that does not support mobile friendly design. It will just look for mobile friendly content first for mobile browsing.
Reshape your website to collaborate with the mobile friendly algorithm:
Here are the few suggestions to be taken into consideration for making your website apt with the new algorithm
- Make sure that your website pages fit well on mobile devices too. This means that the content fits well on the mobile screen so that the user don’t have to side or top scroll to see the whole page
- All the links, texts, buttons, graphics and other fundaments must be easily seen on mobile pages and workable without any hindrance when clicked on.
- Make sure that all the necessary tabs are place correctly without creating overlap or clutter and all the images are able to adjust themselves depending on the size of the screen
- Implement Accelerated Mobile Pages – AMP, an open source project that allows fast mobile crawling of web pages. Good site speed is one of the important factors when it comes Google ranking
Creating Mobile Friendly Website:
There are two ways of creating a mobile friendly website.
- You can create a dummy of your desktop website and store it as a sub-domain under your main domain name. This dummy website would suit all types of small screens.
- Another option is to customize your current desktop website to be mobile responsive. Mobile responsive sites are sites that can adjust itself depending on the size of the screen it is opened at.
Option two is most preferred as there is no need to maintain an extra site and creating extra burden on you. Also if you have two sites, you may be accused of content duplication. Also managing links on both sites will not be possible and may result in having some data in one site and another in another site. Also, if your mobile site gets more rankings and it appears on desktop search results, then it may look and feel odd while using it on desktop.